If I’ve said it once, I’ve said it a million times, there’s a day for everything.
For example, May 5 is International Bereaved Mother’s Day (which I acknowledge because unfortunately, I have lost a child), August 13 is Left Handers Day (I’m a Southpaw), November 12 is Prematurity Awareness Day (The Kids were born at 30 weeks gestation), and July 13 is National French Fries Day. And today is no different because…
Today is National Banana Cream Pie Day!
Pies been around since the ancient Egyptians. The early pies were predominately meat pies. Often these pies were made using fowl and the legs were left to hang over the side of the dish and used as handles. I don’t know about you but I’m glad that some things have evolved.
Bananas have been popular in North America since the late 1880. The first recipe for Banana Cream Pie appeared in 1901 out of Chicago, IL and published in the Women’s Exchange Cook Book. And then there was that time that we completed the banana peel test to see if Artemis was sick*.
Gay Lea has added their own flare with a modern twist to this household favourite by including flaked coconut in the base and a dollop of their deliciously creamy Coconut Whipped Cream to top off the pie! A little bit of pie heaven.
Banana Cream Pie Day with Gay Lea Coconut Whipped Cream
- 1 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1/3 cup Cocoa Powder
- 1/3 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 cup Sweetened Flaked Coconut
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 3/4 cup Cold, cubed Gay Lea Salted Butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 tbsp Gay Lea Salted Butter
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 3 bananas, thinly sliced
- 1 canister Gay Lea Real Coconut Whipped Cream
- Toasted coconut (to garnish)
- Crust: Pulse flour with cocoa, sugar, coconut and salt in a food processor. Pulse in butter until finely crumbed. Whisk egg yolk with 2 tbsp (30 mL) ice water; pulse into flour mixture until it clumps together.
- Press dough evenly into the bottom and 1 1/2 inches (4 cm) up the sides of a 10-inch (25 cm) springform pan. Prick with a fork. Freeze for 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Bake, on a lower rack, for 15 minutes or until set. Cool to room temperature.
- Filling: Whisk milk with sugar and cornstarch in a heavy saucepan set over medium heat. Bring to a boil, stirring often, until thickened. Whisk some of the hot milk mixture into egg yolks. Whisk back into remaining milk. Cook, whisking, for 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in butter and vanilla.
- Line cooled shell with bananas. Pour hot filling over top to cover bananas completely. Cool to room temperature; chill for at least 2 hours or up to 2 days. Just before serving, remove ring and arrange on serving platter. Pipe coconut whipped cream to cover custard completely and garnish with toasted coconut.
Note that Cook Time refers to Cool Time. This pie does not need to be cooked.
To make individual pies: Divide dough between eight, 5-inch (12-cm) mini pie plates or foil pot-pie pans; pressing evenly into bottom and up sides. Arrange on a baking sheet; bake for 15 minutes. Cool to room temperature. Divide bananas and custard between the cooled shells. Chill until set. Garnish with whipped cream and toasted coconut.
If pie isn’t your thing or you have some whipped cream leftover (as if!), there are a bunch of other things you can do with this lactose-free product. Try adding it to your morning coffee or check out all the other recipes on Gay Lea’s website.
Gay Lea Foods Co-operative is a Canadian company that was started in 1958, when a group of Ontario farmers came together with a common vision. Since then they have kept their values while continuing to offer fresh products. And, they want you to experience them for yourself!
Starting today, head over to Websaver and get a $2 off coupon for Gay Lea Coconut Whipped Cream**.
Celebrate Banana Cream Pie Day with GayLea!
* Note that this is 100% a joke.
** While quantities last. To be used at retail distributors of the product in Canada only.
|Prize:||Prize Pack including; Ceramic Pie Plate, 4 dessert plates and stand, Metal whisk, Measuring cups, Spatula, 4 napkins, 4 dessert forks, Pie server knife, 2 vouchers for free Gay Lea Coconut Whipped Cream (expire November 30, 2015). Approximate prize value is $90CDN.|
|Eligibility:||Canada Only (including Quebec). Age 18+|
|Duration:||The contest will run from Monday, March 2 until Monday, March 23, 2014, inclusive.|
|Shipping:||Included in the prize.|
|Entry Method:||Giveaway Tools Form.|
|Disclosure:||Disclosure: Journeys of The Zoo received compensation in exchange for sharing this product with you.|
The giveaway associated with this post has ended. Check the Winners Page for details.