It all started last summer after an impromptu Family dinner. Everyone enjoyed themselves so much that we thought we needed to do it again. Not that we needed an excuse but we thought that after 40 years of “being Andrew”, he’d earned himself a party in his honour.
If you’re looking to have a farm hoedown of your own, here are a few things that you’ll need.
1. A Farm complete with tractor and pressure washer
2. A Corn Roaster and Smoker. Uncle Kevin welded a smoker just for the event! If you know him, you won’t be surprised.
4. Music. We rigged up an ipod to a gettoblaster but considered getting some local musicians to come and play. Next time…
5. Food. The more food produced in house the better; beets, green beans, apple sauce, corn, potatoes, green onions, lettuce and even the eggs were included in our dishes.
6. Camp Fire. You can have a traditional fire, one in a fire pit or try a Swedish Candle. It took a while to get going but once it did, it lasted well into the next morning and would have kept going if we’d kept feeding it.
7. A Chocolate AND Vanilla Birthday Cake.
8. People. While our table was overflowing, it wasn’t the food that was the highlight of the party, it was the people.
Uncle Don and Aunt Bev, Fred, Marcella, Nanna and Jim, Liz and Kevin, John and Sally, The Zoo and of course Andrew!
BIG Thanks to Uncle John and Aunt Sally who prepared the venue, Kevin for smoking the pork, cooking the corn and coordinating the fire, Ed for barbequing the potatoes, Aunt Bev for cleaning up, Ben and Marcella for amusing The Kids and everyone that brought something for the meal.
Have You Ever Hosted a Surprise Party?
— Journeys of The Zoo (@zoojourneys) August 12, 2015