Journeys of The Zoo would like to wish all of our fellow southpaws a Happy International Left Handers Day!
Didn’t know that the day existed? Never heard of a Southpaw?
Here are some fun left-handed facts…The term southpaw is widely accepted to have it’s origins in baseball. Ballparks are often designed so that the batter is facing east, in order that the afternoon or evening sun does not shine in his eyes. This means that left-handed pitchers are throwing from the south side.
Studies suggest that 10% of the world population is left-handed. Left-handedness is more than twice as common in males than females.
I Am Left Handed.
Research into left handed statistics has concluded that where both parents are left-handed, there is a higher chance (around 26%) that they will produce a left-handed child, than two right-hander’s (9%).
In turn, the likelihood that Ed (right-handed) and I (left-handed) would create a left-hander is just below 19%. Max is left-handed.
Identical twins share handedness 80% of the time proving that handedness is not solely genetic.
Want to be an honourary leftie? Already are one? See how well you do with this quick quiz…
- Besides Barack Obama, can you name a left-handed American President?
- Which one of the Dionne Quintuplets was Left-handed?
- True or False. Alexander the Great was left-handed.
- Besides scissors, what’s an item that they make specifically for lefties?
- What makes scissors left or right-handed?
- True or False. Left handers generally part their hair on the left.
If you know anyone that is Left-handed, be sure to shake their left hand when you wish them a…
interesting facts…I am passing this to my aunt who is left handed
My son is a lefty
My son is a left too! YAY!!!
I’m a lefty 🙂