UPDATE (Oct 2019). We have been with Yak for four years now! Time flies when you’re having fun. The company was purchased by Distributel in September 2016, however, our transition has been seamless. We continue to split our time between Canada and Mexico and our phone service wouldn’t even know it. Definitely a company that we still recommend.
Ever get the feeling that you’re paying too much for your home phone service?
Did you know that there is an option out there that allows you to spend less than $20 a month with no contract to sign, no set-up fees and the service can move with you where you go. If it sounds too good to be true, it’s not. Read on to find out why we chose Yak Communications for our home phone service and enter to win 6-months of phone service and a $50 Prepaid Gift Card!
We’ve had a VOIP based home phone service since 2007 and recently moved over to Yak Communications Premium Plan for a variety of reasons; it cost 30% less for even more services, they offer the “On the Road” feature that we require, they’re contract free and the best part, Canadian!
If you haven’t heard of the term before, Voice Over Internet Protocol (VOIP) is a mixture of hardware and software solutions that enables a person to use the Internet to make telephone calls. Assuming you have reliable high speed internet, you can receive and make phone calls; From Home, Another Persons Home or On the Road anywhere in the world! Here are a few reasons why we initially chose a VOIP home phone service.
Your current phone system (traditional or VOIP) will function exactly as it currently does. You will not need to make any changes to the way you call nor will people who are calling have any idea you’ve changed over. The only thing different is the addition of a small piece of hardware at your high speed internet (or wireless modem) location. That’s it.
From Another Persons Home
When we go to Mexico, we will bring our Canadian home phone number with us. Once we get our high speed internet hooked up, we simply plug in our ATA hardware (like we would back in Canada) and start receiving “local” calls from Canada. People have no idea that we’re not in Canada and they don’t have to pay long distances fees. As for us, we don’t have to pay for another home phone system in Mexico, calls to Canada are free (it’s as if it’s a local call) and the phone just rings like it normally does. Pretty cool huh!?
On the Road
The one feature that Yak Communications has that our old provider did not was the ability to make phone calls without our modem and/or access to the a modem. The X-lite software is available for Mac and Windows (including XP) allows us you to make phone calls from a hotel room, in the middle of the highway in a foreign country or anywhere that high speed internet is available. All you need is a computer and headset. There have been a handful of cases where we have needed this service (like the closing on our house) but we didn’t have a phone.
I understand that these last two set-ups might not be for everyone but regardless, VOIP is the easiest and most cost effective set-up there is for your home phone. So now that I have you all excited about saving money and being more portable, here’s how to get started.
How to Get Started?
- Call Yak Communications at 877-925-4925 and create an account,
- Complete and submit via email, fax or letter a 1-page Portability PDF Form,
- Pick a date to transfer. Allow 7-10 days after creating your account,
- Wait for your ATA hardware to arrive. Ours did within days,
- Plug it in on the agreed date and you’re ready!
Included in all the plans are 11 FREE features. A few of our favourites are; e911 service, unlimited local calling, call display and digital voicemail. All of the features have customizations that you can make at your leisure via your “My Account”.
Things to Remember
- Wait a few days and then cancel your old service.
- Save all the voice messages from your old phone system and change your message (your old one will not port over).
- Notify Yak of the email address that you would like to receive electronic notifications of voice messages.
- Change the time that your phone is displaying.*
- Consider having an alternative method of making phone calls in case your internet or phone service provider is having issues.
Some of the other services that Yak Communications offers include; long distance, internet, home phone, cable, DSL packages and a Mobile app. One-stop shopping for all your media needs.
If you’ve been wanting to spend less on your home phone service then this is the time!
* If your phone has a time feature, it will use the time from Yak Communication servers. Our server is somewhere in PST so it’s three hours behind us. Contact Yak and they will send over a simple 4-step process to change it to your time zone.
Journeys of The Zoo received compensation in exchange for sharing about this company.